The government might re-impose a curfew in North eastern following the killing of 14 Kenyans by suspected terrorists on July 7. The curfew was lifted following a directive

by President Uhuru Kenyatta to allow Muslims to hold night-long prayers during the just concluded holy month of Ramadhan. Speaking in Mandera town where he led an operation to hunt for the killers North eastern regional co-ordinator Mohamud Saleh said it had come to the government’s knowledge that majority of locals were uncomfortable with the lifting of the curfew due to fear for their own security. “Our preliminary investigations indicate the attackers are radicalised Kenyan youths. We suspect they are still in Mandera and we will deal with them in accordance with the law,” said Saleh. Five of the 11 victims who sustained serious grenade and gunshot wounds were flown to Nairobi for specialised treatment. Thirteen of the 14 killed were non-locals who worked at a quarry.

RC Saleh who was accompanied by top security officers from the region and the Administration Police Training College Commandant Omar Shurie, urged area residents not to harbour suspected Al Shabaab militia in their midst. Meanwhile, leaders from Mandera County have taken issue with President Uhuru Kenyatta for his approach towards handling the increasing cases of terror attacks in North eastern and especially Mandera County. Speaking at press conference in Nairobi on Tuesday, the leaders claimed Uhuru ignored recommendations they submitted to him after the Garissa attack of April 2, 2015. Led by Mandera Senator Billow Kerrow, the leaders said that had their input been taken into account, attacks such as the latest one in Mandera where up to 14 people were killed by suspected members of Al- shabaab could have been thwarted.

“We shared a 20 point recommendations with him (Uhuru) which we were assured would be implemented immediately but nothing has been done so far,” said Kerrow. On her part, Fathiha Mahabub, Mandera County women representative said that government should take the blame for the attack because it has failed to implement proposals they gave. The leaders who spoke in one voice attributed the halting of more bloodshed in the Mandera attack to the bravery of Kenya Police reservists whom they said responded swiftly. They now want up to 300 KPR recruited for each of the three counties in North eastern.

Read 1437 times
Rate this item
(1 Vote)

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.

Kmya NewsBytes



Who's Online

We have 82 guests and no members online

Get connected with Us

Subscribe to our newspaper